Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Is Tolkien Rolling Over in His Grave?


Like just about every movie I write a review on, I saw “The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug” (just “Smaug” after this) twice.  The second time, I saw it with my family.  Afterward my mom and I were discussing it, and we came to the easy conclusion that there wasn’t a lot of the story that was straight from the original book.  There were quite a few embellishments.  I didn’t think that was a bad thing.  My mom, though, is sure that J. R. R. Tolkien is rolling over in his grave.

The first installation of this Hobbit movie trilogy, “An Unexpected Journey” (“Journey” hereafter), had many extras as well.  I’ve read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings several times.  I also read The Silmarillion once, though I really struggled to get through it.  I haven’t tried reading other Middle-earth history, so I don’t know how many of the additions in the movies are cannon and how many are inventions of Peter Jackson and company.  One thing that’s sure, however, is that nothing from the novel has been left out!  Beorn; the spiders and the Elves of Mirkwood; the escape from the Elves; Lake-town and Bard; and the dragon Smaug were all intact (with some enhancement in several cases).

As for additions (without spoiling too much), Legolas was featured in “Smaug” along with another elf that didn’t exist in any Tolkien works, as far as I am aware (Evangeline Lilly did a great job in that role).  Gandalf’s solo adventures were also featured.  Some of the Dwarves were fleshed out in ways that they never were in the book.  That, to me, is a very welcome elaboration because I don’t remember any of them, except maybe Thorin, having much of a personality in their original format.

My feeling about the additions to the story is that either they are meant to make “The Hobbit” more of a prequel to “The Lord of the Rings” than the book really was or to make the story more exciting and approachable for modern audiences.  I don’t think either of those purposes is bad.

 A year ago, I really enjoyed “Journey”.  I liked the hair and costuming of the Dwarves.  I liked the relatively light-hearted feel of the movie (in comparison to the tone of “The Lord of the Rings”).  I enjoyed Radagast the Brown.  The special effects were well done (ugly trolls, creepy goblins, and scary orcs!).  But one of my favorite things about “Journey” was Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins.

All of that is still true for “Smaug”. 

I remember having The Hobbit read to me as a kid.  I also vaguely remember a cartoon version of the book.  From those two sources, my vision of Bilbo was a chubby little guy.  That description doesn’t necessarily fit Martin Freeman (though movie magic makes him hobbit sized).  Freeman is a good deal skinnier than the Bilbo I pictured from my memories as a child.  But that doesn’t seem to matter.  He does such a great job of bringing the character to life that the nay-saying voice in me is hushed and I just sit back and enjoy what’s on the screen.

One of the gripes that I’ve heard about “Journey” was that it dragged in places.  Personally, I didn’t think it did.  But if “Journey” was a little slow on occasion, “Smaug” picked up the pace.  There was a lot more action and peril in this latest installment, but it still managed to feel lighter than the “Lord of the Rings” movies.  Martin Freeman’s Bilbo was a big part of that lightness.

Smaug himself was amazing!  The level of detail in his animation was mind-blowing to me.  (Of course, we might look back in a couple years and wonder why we thought it was so well done.)  Benedict Cumberbatch is a perfect choice for his voice.  He really does a great villain!  (As an aside, that might actually be why he’s so good as Sherlock Holmes in “Sherlock”.)

In summary, many of the additions to the story of The Hobbit may not be part of the cannon of Tolkien’s Middle-earth, but I think they fit well with the original work.  If Tolkien is rolling in his grave, I hope it’s with delight and not with disappointment!

No comments:

Post a Comment